The History of St Luke’s Parish Revesby
St Luke’s parish was established in 1932, and was formed out of the Bankstown Parish by its then Parish Priest Father O’Brien who had also choosen the name of this new church in Revesby, and which was still part of the Punchbowl parish until 1949. From the get go, St Luke’s was built to not only serve the spiritual needs of the local Catholics but also to provide them a Catholic education.
Then it was in 1949 St Luke’s Revesby become an independent parish with the appointment of Father Patrick Carr its first Parish Priest. In the 30 years that followed Father Carr, become the planner, architect, builder, wheeler and dealer and driver of the ever-expanding Catholic school and church buildings project in the district.
While presiding over St Luke’s Revesby and responding to the ever growing population of his parish Fr. Carr oversaw and led the establishment of three further parishes namely St Christopher’s in Panania and St Therese in Padstow and St Patrick’s in Revesby Heights. In addition to the parishes, Fr. Carr was also instrumental in establishing 5 schools in the area namely St Luke’s Primary school, St Therese Primary School, St Christopher’s Primary school and for older children De La Salle College Revesby and Mt St Joesph’s in Milperra.
Today St Luke’s is home to a cohort of Australian, Vietnamese, Italian, Lebanese, Indian and Indigenous parishioners as well as many other cultures, representative of the local area.